- 9 phyllo pastry sheets from a 1-pound package (look in the frozen section at the local grocery)
- 1 generous cup finely chopped walnuts (the finer, the better)
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup honey syrup (see below)
- Place an 8" round cake pan on a stack of sheets, and use as a template to make phyllo circles. You can get one entire circle, and one half-circle, from each stack of sheets. Use as much phyllo as possible.
- Butter cake pan, preheat oven to 350.
- Create six layers of phyllo, and brush each layer with butter.
- Create fifteen layers of phyllo-butter-1 TBSP walnuts on top of the above.
- Create six more layers of phyllo brushed with butter on top of the above.
- Score top approximately 1/2" deep, to form 16 triangles.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until it reaches a golden brown.
- Pour honey syrup on top of pastry, slice through the remaining layers of phyllo, and allow to cool several hours before serving.
- 2 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- rind of one lemon
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pound honey
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brandy
- Combine first five ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until it thickens slightly (approximately 10-15 minutes).
- Strain out rind and spices.
- Stir in honey, lemon juice, and brandy. Cool.
- Use for pastries.
Click here for more Honey Recipes.