With my daughter's birthday bee-ing in November, I wanted to do a holiday birthday cake for her. This Honey Gingerbread fits the bill perfectly!
This is a wonderful cake to serve with Thanksgiving. Most people already have all the ingredients in their cupboard. It is a dense cake, somewhat like banana bread. The Honey Whipped Cream complements it perfectly!
I used Southern Belle Honey when I made this for my daughter, and the peachiness complemented the ginger very well. For a super-sweet gingerbread, you could try using Orange Blossom Honey, but you will find that the citrus aftertaste will get lost in the ginger. For something a bit different, you can try Arrowleaf Honey or Butterbean Honey. They both sweeten without being overly sweet, and do not supply a taste of their own. Great if you want just the flavor of the spices coming through.
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 and 1/2 cups honey, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans.
- Cream together butter and 1/2 cup honey. Mix in egg.
- In a separate bowl, blend flour, ginger, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a third bowl, blend remaining honey with boiling water.
- Use mixer to blend creamed honey and 1/3 dry ingredients, then 1/3 wet ingredients, alternating until all dry and wet ingredients are added.
- Turn into pans, bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 40-50 minutes.
Click here for more Honey Recipes.